Many Garde Robe members have expressed displeasure with their dry cleaner. Not all cleaners have the experience, knowledge and expertise to be handling couture wardrobes. The very best cleaners have resources that allow them to implement cleaning equipment and solvents that your average dry cleaner simply cannot afford. Many couture pieces should never be cleaned by a machine, only hand washed. Your average cleaner doesn’t know what they don’t know, and that is a recipe for fabric damage. In New York, the cleaners Garde Robe works with on a regular basis and highly recommend are:
* Meurice – With four locations in New York (Manhattan and Manhasset), Meurice is an environmentally responsible and easily accessible dry cleaner. They have the equipment and five decades of expertise needed to tackle virtually any job – from preserving a wedding gown to removing chocolate from a suede couch. Ask for Wayne.
* Hallak – This year, the Hallak family is celebrating their 50th anniversary. They are the Metropolitan area’s leading couture cleaner and offer a large variety of services, including the “Courier Couture”, providing nationwide couture cleaning services. Ask for John Claude.
* Jeeves – Located on the Upper East Side, Jeeves uses environmentally friendly cleaning systems and minimizes the use of packaging. They also offer seasonal collection and delivery to Eastern Long Island; including Southampton, Bridgehamton, Sag Harbor, Water Mill and Shinnecock. Ask for Jerry.
The following cleaners also provide excellent service:
* Arthur Copeland Cleansers – Established in 1934, they are the oldest operating dry cleaning firm on Long Island, NY. Combining tradition with the latest technology and techniques, they offer a range of services, including garment and bridal, interior cleaning, handbag cleaning, and alterations. Ask for Charlie.
* George Torpe – One of the best-kept secrets among the best dressed, the Upper East Side dry cleaner is known by his stain-removing miracles. Service by appointment only and George ships anywhere in the nation and internationally. Ask for George.
* Winzer Cleaners – Since 1908 they have specialized in fine dry cleaning in New York City, including dry cleaning of theatrical costumes, mascots, wedding gowns, leather, suede, fur cleaning, rugs, upholstery & draperies. Ask for Bruce.
* King Garment Care -Located in the heart of Soho, they invested in cleaning processes with the smallest footprints on the planet. They offer a wide range of cleaning and tailoring services, employing up to five different cleaning technologies in their processes. Ask for Richie.
* Bridge Cleaners & Tailors – King Garment Care’s location in Downtown Brooklyn. They share the same ‘Green Philosophy’ and, just like their sister location, offer a large variety of environmentelly friendly services. Ask for Richie.
* Embassy Cleaners – Premier Dry Cleaning Service in Westchester (NY), they specialize in dry cleaning, drapery cleaning, carpet and upholstery cleaning. In addition, they also offer fireproofing and restoration services for smoke and water damage. Ask for Andy.
If you need a cleaner in another part of the country, seek out members of Leading Cleaners Internationale. You can rest assured these garment care companies have vast experience handling couture.